What You Don't Know About Those Black Streaks on Your Roof Can Destroy It!
Let's be honest about the fact that taking care of a household can be a real chore sometimes. Your home is constant work in progress, and it's easy to fall behind in some of the maintenance you're supposed to keep up with.
Take, for example, the exterior pressure washing and roof cleaning. Even though you have to see it each time you pull in the driveway, it can be easy to procrastinate about the upkeep requirements.
However, once you notice those black streaks appearing on your roof, it's time to accept that you've let it go too long. It's critical that you get in the habit of scheduling roof washing before those streaks appear, but once they do show up, the time to get serious about it is yesterday.
The First Line of Defense Against the Elements
Without question, your home sweet home is your most precious and valuable investment. Taking care of your rooftop should be your top priority; this is what safeguards the rest of your home from the elements.
Failure to maintain your roof doesn't just lead to roof problems; it results in a whole slew of issues, including compromising the structural integrity of your entire home. So, about those black streaks you spotted on your roof:
- The unsightly black streaks aren't just ruining the visual aesthetics and curb appeal; they're breaking down your asphalt shingles, granule by granule.
- This is the result of algae, gloeocapsa magma. Regardless of the visible black streaks, it's a form of blue-green algae.
- The algae feed on the granules in asphalt shingles. When it rains, the water washes them down, and that's how the black streaks appear.
- The problem is that by the time you see visible streaks, the algae has already been there for several months.
- It appears most commonly as asphalt shingle rooftops but actually can form on all types of roofing systems.
- Not only does the algae feed on the roofing material, slowly destroying it, but the black also makes your roof heat up more. Since black is a conductor of heat, your rooftop becomes less energy-efficient, and your cooling bills will increase.
Put an End to It All
The best thing that you can do for your roof is to stay proactive with preventative care. In addition to regular inspections and repairs, schedule your ongoing roof washing service.
Not just any company will do; you need BTR Wash Pros on your side. Contact us today for the high-quality Chicago pressure washing that you deserve.